Why choose Fiji?
- Fiji is affordable. The cost of living in Fiji is 25.53% lower than in Canada and 60% lower than in Australia (All figures Dec. 2016) The USD is worth twice the value of the Fiji dollar making the cost of living in Fiji almost 50% lower than in the USA.
- Almost everyone in Fiji speaks English because it is the official language. The Fijian language, however, is preserved and widely spoken in many different dialects.
- The people are incredibly friendly and welcoming: “Bula!” is the typical Fijian greeting and goes beyond the simple “hello” to incorporate the feeling of spirit. It means lifeand it may well be the first Fijian word you learn.
- The climate is pleasant with maximum temperatures rarely moving beyond 26-31 degrees Celsius (78 – 87 F). December is the rainy season with intermittent downpours that ensure Fiji stays lush and green.
- Fiji is free from malaria, yellow fever and major tropical diseases that are endemic to most tropical countries.
- There is so much to do you will never, ever be bored! Golfing, snorkeling, scuba diving, paddle boarding, world-class surfing, hiking, zip-lining, sea-fishing, shopping for handicrafts, dining, island hopping, exploring the jungle and beautiful waterfalls.
- Fiji is famous for its seafood including prawn, lobster, and fresh tuna. Fijians also serve delicious curried dishes and a wide assortment of local fruits and vegetables. Whether you cook it yourself or dine out at one of the many local restaurants, you are in for a treat.
What makes property in Fiji so attractive
Pacific Harbour an ‘integrated tourism development’ in Fiji is one of the few places that proper Residential Freehold or Fee Simple property still exists for foreign investors. Unlike many of its counterparts you don’t need to have a local partner you are not buying a medium to long term lease, you actually own the property in Pacific Harbour outright. The process of buying land in Pacific Harbour is relatively simple. Land titles are secure because Fiji freehold or land tenure is via a Torrens title land-registration system with the title guaranteed constitutionally by the State. You will be required to fill out forms, submit a police verification that you have no criminal record, and do various other tasks such as paying duties.
It usually takes from 2-4 months to have a sale finalised. Pacific Harbour real estate has proven a good solid investment giving approximate returns of 20% per annum and offering a rental return of around 8% per annum in recent years. With the best beach in close proximity to Suva it now boasts world class facilities including the recent addition of the new Pearl marina resort. With everything you need from restaurants, shops, bank, post office and even a school it truly offers fully integrated resort living in peaceful, secure and picturesque surroundings. Pacific Harbour also boasts an 18 hole championship golf course all on your front door step!
Mar 29, 2020
Last week the Fiji Government announced and interim budget to give relief to its citizens. This stimulus package included the following imitative –
“To offer serious mortgage relief for our homeowners, we’ll also be reducing stamp duty rates for Fiji resident taxpayers for mortgages from 1.7 per cent to zero per cent. Foreign nationals will see their mortgages’ stamp duty reduced from five per cent to zero per cent”
In effect for a non-national now purchasing a property for FJ$600,000 that’s a saving of FJ$30,000 on a new mortgage!
Added to this the fact that property prices are already at lower rates than normal then it seems that now is a good time to buy!